Monday, March 30, 2009

Another snowy day

This morning we awoke to more snow. It had snowed yesterday morning and mostly melted by afternoon, then it started snowing again about 10PM. The snow is beautiful. I don't mind the spring snows as much as the winter snows as they melt like the ones at home pretty quickly and it isn't as cold afterwards. Maybe (heaven forbid) I am getting used to the cold.
I just wanted to share a little experience I had today. This morning when I was coming to work, I was heading across the conference center parking lot and who do I run into. Elder Perry is jogging around the parking lot in his tennis shoes and jogging outfit. He always say something when you meet him. This morning he said "Good Morning". When I first started my mission he was one of the 12 over our department. He was always so great to greet us cheerfully and joke around with us. Then when President Hinckley passed on, he was moved to another department. We sure did miss him. You must know that he is 86 years old and will be 87 in August. He is the oldest member of the 12, and 3rd in line of succession. What was so wonderful about seeing him this morning is to realize, that even tho he is an Apostle of God, he is still just a man. He lives nearby the COB and you can see him often out jogging or walking and he is always friendly. It was just a great man and has a warm place in my heart. He has been so go to help our department even tho he is in charge of another department, he still cares and does whatever he can to help our department. It has been such a blessing to me to be able to be around some of the 12 and the 70. It is great to see there are such good, humble men on the earth and taking care of the Lord's church for Him, it is also wonderful to see how they work together to accomplish the Lord's purposes with no thought for themselves, strong dedicated people. What a blessing to see all of the Senior Missionaries and hear their testimonies, it makes me want to work harder, I am grateful for my small part in the work.

2 comments:

Karebear said...

That would be really neat to rub elbows with the men of our church. It must be pretty exciting to have everyone there for conference. Say Hi to my in-laws if you see them (if you know who they are).

Marissa said...

Hi mom! I always enjoy hearing those experiences. When I lived in the apartment downtown I ran into Elder Perry walking to work as I was walking to TRAX to head to school. He is such a big man! I love you and miss you. Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!